Friday, September 16, 2016

I am a true believer in creating your own luck and I believe that is achieved through putting yourself in opportunistic situations.  Taking advantage of every opportunity that comes across you and not being afraid to fail at those opportunities is a key to being successful in life.  I try to seek out and participate in every opportunity that presents itself to me to explore different aspects of life.  Whether it be joining various clubs on campus to exploring the world through school run programs I try to dabble in all of them.  I am apart of the Sports business association on campus which has allowed me to meet and network with many different people in the business world and I am also apart of a social fraternity of campus which has allowed to me expand my social horizons beyond what I thought they could be.  I also participated in a study abroad program through school which let me explore a completely different culture in Europe for the first time.  Participating in these opportunities have increased by life experiences ten fold and I am very glad I participated in them. 

On the other hand, there has been plenty of opportunities that I have missed out on because I was not ambitious and neglected to participate in them.  One recent opportunity I did not take advantage of was the business career fair on campus.  The career fair provides a platform were many business students can network with and hand applications to big companies around the country that are looking for interns and potential employees our age.  This is a great opportunity provided by the school for all students to have face to face time with great corporations that could be a future career for a student.  However, I did not go to the career fair this year and in my junior year it is crucial to get a good internship this summer.  I kept downplaying how helpful the career fair was and kept procrastinating revising my resume so it would be ready for the fair.  On the day of the fair I realized I did not have a revised resume and had done no research on potential companies that would interest me.  Being this underprepared I chose not to go to the career fair thinking it would be of no benefit to me at this point.  I regret not taking advantage of this opportunity because now all of my peers that went to the fair are setting up interviews, in personal contact with recruiters, and had a great networking experience at the fair which I was unable to have due to my own fault. 


In this situation I missed two opportunities: being under prepared and not going to the fair at all.  Overall, I extremely regret procrastinating building my resume so it would be prepared to present to potential companies I would like to work for.  There was plenty of resume workshops on campus that could have helped me but I just never committed to any of them.  I also did not research any of the companies that are there which is essential to looking prepared to these companies while talking to them face to face.  Lastly, not going to the career fair at all because I felt too unprepared was a mistake as well.  I could have still gone and at least began to network with these companies and could have gotten contacts and good insight for future career fairs.  This was an opportunity I missed out on and could effect me in the future but it was also a good learning experience to never pass up on any opportunity whether its small of large. 

4 comments:

  1. I normally don't correct student grammar or word usage but since you did this more than once, apart as one word means the distance between things, e.g. far apart, while a part of (two words plus the preposition of) means belonging to.

    Now as to the subject matter of your post, you didn't understand the prompt and therefore wrote about taking advantage of opportunities or not, giving examples of these. The prompt, however, was about opportunism, which has an ethical dimension to it. Acting opportunistically usually means somebody else has been harmed or, at least, there was the potential for harm and yet the person undertook the action without regard for that consequence.

    On the procrastination itself, you mind find this piece called Later an interesting read. We all procrastinate somewhat. The question is coming to terms with ourselves with what we do manage to accomplish and what we end up putting off. In your case, it is less than ideal to not have an internship after your junior year, but that is still possible now and in any event you can recover from the prior mistake. It will take time and effort, no doubt, but it is definitely do-able. And this time your motivation may be a lot better, so procrastination is not an issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the piece Later a very interesting read because it outlined that procrastination is the quintessential problem in the modern world. People's preferences are not consistent over time so our long run desires get changed due to the short run. Why? Some would say it is due to ignorance because people are more interested in short term pleasures while pushing back long term consequences

      Delete
  2. I agree with you that being able to realize and take advantage of opportunities is important in one's quest for success. We all have certain situations in life that we can look back on and say, "Wow, that has really benefited me in a lot of ways." There are also those opportunities that we fail to take advantage of. For example, I went to the career fair, but don't feel that I was fully prepared. The fear of not getting the job you want is created by the fact that there will always be better resumes, someone might always interview better than you. However, I suggest focussing on the successful opportunities to keep a level head towards hopefully more success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John,

    I agree not being afraid to fail is a very important aspect of success. Also being involved in campus RSO's is also a great thing and something I do myself; definitely opens doors for you socially and (hopefully) professionally. However, I do agree with Prof. Arvan that you unfortunately did not write a response for the exact prompt assigned. While I do relate to the procrastination you have explained in this post as I myself unfortunately do it as well, hopefully in the future you can write a slightly more relevant post to what Prof. Arvan assigned so we can all have a better discussion and understanding from its lessons.

    ReplyDelete