Monday, November 28, 2016

Reputation

A place where I grew a strong reputation is at Wilmot Mountain.  It is a small ski resort in Wisconsin which was under 20 minutes away from my house.  I started skiing when I was 3 years old and got skilled at the sport by the time I was in middle school. I began to grow a reputation at the small ski resort by going there often in middle school and high school participating and doing well in different skiing competitions they hosted there.  Once I turned 16 and had my own car I begun to work at Wilmot doing a couple different jobs for them.  Because I had gone there so often growing up, once I started working there I felt less like the new guy because I already had a relationship with numerous employees which made the transition into my first job a lot easier.  My main job there was to teach young children ski lessons.  The lessons would be 45 minutes long where I would teach the child the fundamentals of skiing.  I only taught young children in the beginning because there are 3 levels of ski instructors (beginner, intermediate, expert) and I was only certified to instruct beginner lessons because you need more experience to teach intermediate and expert. I built a strong reputation at the mountain because at the end of every lesson the customer would give the instructor a rating on a scale of 1-5 and I had a very impressive overall rating for being the youngest ski instructor there.  Moving on to the next winter I worked there, I got certified to teach intermediate skiers too which broadened the amount of lessons I could teach.  The second winter I worked there we hired a lot of new employees which was nice for me because that meant there was ski instructors I finally had seniority over.  Seniority comes into play because you get to pick which lessons you want to teach for the day based on how long you have worked there.  So, with my good reputation and having seniority over new employees, I no longer had to teach lessons on days that it was very cold outside and could just send a younger instructor for the lesson.  However, this did not turn me into a lazy employee because I could teach more lessons than the winter before because I could teach both intermediate and beginner now and my instructor rating increased from the year before.  The manager was an old man that had worked there for years and someone I got to know as a young kid growing up there.  He actually taught me lessons when I was young so our relationship was very good before I started working there and only grew stronger with my strong work ethic. 


I also worked with a team to design the terrain park at Wilmot (where all the ski jumps are).  I was apart of this team because the terrain park was where I spent most of time on the mountain to learn how to do new tricks.  I built a strong reputation at the terrain park being able to land a number of different tricks which is why I was invited to be apart of the team that creates the terrain park.  By my senior year of high school, I got contacted by the US AirBag Tour which is a company that travels to ski resorts around the country with an inflatable stunt bag for skiers and snowboarders to learn new tricks on.  The tour went to Wilmot my senior year and they contacted me to come participate and to be apart of the promotional video they make.  I was offered this opportunity due to the reputation I built in our area as one of the better terrain park skiers.  This was a very cool experience because I got to ski with a lot of other talented skiers and it was beneficial to my skiing career because I learned how to do my first backflip while I was on the tour. 

4 comments:

  1. You posted this last night but it only showed up in my reader after class today.

    I was surprised to learn there was a mountain in Wisconsin so I Googled the place. Wikipedia referred to it as a hill. I guess, everything is marketing.

    In class today we asked whether the reputation you earned in high school (or at jobs during that time) survived afterward. What's the story here? Is the reputation you developed at all durable for now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Professor,

      The name of the resort is Wilmot Mountain but by no means is it a mountain at all (marketing is everything). The vertical rise of the hill is only 250 feet, compared to 13,000 in Colorado, and part of the hill is actually made from a landfill. My reputation at Wilmot did is not as strong as it once was because I am three years removed from the working there so a lot of the employees are new so I do not know them. In fact, Wilmot was just bought out by Vail resorts last year so there was a complete renovation of it and I have not been back since it was complete. There could be completely new employees and clientele there so my reputation could be very minuscule now but I am excited to see the changes when I visit over winter break

      Delete
  2. John,

    Great post on your reputation with Wilmot Mountain. I think that a persons reputation can be looked at as a combination of a person's character and how they act around others in public. I generally think that being able to sustain a positive reputation is an important part of being able to be successful later on in life. Like you pointed out in your post how you started going to the mountain as a kid and then started working there later on. The people who run the mountain must have liked you in order to give you a chance to work there as they thought you would be a great addition to the services they have to offer. I think high school and college jobs/internships are a great way to prove ones self as a hard worker/man of strong character, that could potentially have a lot to offer to a company once graduating from college.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John,

    Great post, I am an avid snowboarder myself but I respect the skiing grind, especially when you say you have been doing it almost all of your life. This sounds like this small mountain was an all around awesome experience for you while growing up- I am jealous of not only the reputation you established but by where you did it. Everyone knows you have mastered a skill once you are able to teach it to other people so it sounds like you can shred some nice powder. Also being able to help design the terrain park and then be able to be apart of the promotional video is so cool - from what you have described your reputation at this place precedes you.

    ReplyDelete